1. Q. IS NATURAL STONE A GOOD CHOICE FOR HOME USE?
A. YES. Pure stone is a terrific (to not point out lovely) materials to make use of in all areas of your house. Figuring out the several types of stone, their finishes and purposes will assist you to to make an knowledgeable resolution on which stone is the very best to your mission.
2. Q. CAN YOU EXPLAIN THE DIFFERENT FINISHES FOR STONE?
A. There are a lot of finishes and choices obtainable. Listed here are essentially the most broadly used:
- Polished - A excessive gloss floor.
- Honed - Clean with squared edges and with out a polished floor.
- Tumbled - Calmly tumbled to attain rounded edges and a floor that isn't as clean as honed.
- Vintage Tumbled - Medium tumble edges and floor to attain a slight rustic look.
- Cobbled or Distressed - Closely tumbled edges and floor to attain an aged or historical look.
- Brushed - Acid washed and wire brushed for a clean textured floor.
- Flamed - Blow torched for a tough textured floor.
Three. Q. DOES NOT STONE STAIN? I DO NOT WANT STAINS!
A. YES. All pure stone can stain and etch (a boring spot in a cultured or honed floor), together with GRANITES. Sealers DO NOT forestall staining as they're a moisture barrier solely, but they may assist to provide you a small period of time to wipe up spills. It's almost not possible to forestall staining or etching, however severe stains will be nearly fully eliminated and any etching will be resurfaced if both is admittedly bothersome to you. To assist hold a perspective on selecting to make use of pure stone, keep in mind the next:
1. For hundreds of years, many European international locations have used pure stone from ground to ceiling, inside and outside. The stone turns into stained, cracked, pitted ... and that's the reason we find it irresistible! These traits solely make it that rather more lovely. (Solely we People get upight about such issues!)
2. As a result of stone is quarried from the earth and never "man" made, it's inconceivable to ever discover two actual matching tiles or matching slabs for that matter. One slab could even look totally different from every finish of itself. That can also be the sweetness as a result of each bit is totally different, however when items are put collectively as a complete it's a masterpiece! (Make sure you buy sufficient to finish your mission as it's possible you'll not be capable of get extra from the identical lot.)
Three. Stone is timeless. It doesn't get dated just like the 70's Avocado Inexperienced and Harvest Gold décor did.
four. Stone will last more than any of us will. There are centuries previous castles, manufactured from 100% stone and nonetheless standing immediately!
5. It's a pure useful resource that may by no means run out.
6. The extra it's used, the quicker a "Patina" (gentle sheen on the floor) will develop. The "Patina" can even help to forestall staining to a lesser diploma.
four. Q. WHAT IS THE BEST STONE TO USE IN MY HOME? A. It's actually a matter of selection and the look you wish to obtain. Ask your self the next questions when making your resolution: Is it lovely to me? Do I find it irresistible? Might I dwell with it for years? The most effective recommendation that I can ever give to anybody selecting stone is: Go along with what you might be drawn to from the start. First, as a result of you'll solely spend loads of time and turn into confused when working over the "proper" resolution by taking a look at many alternative stones and colours; secondly, you'll most likely not be glad along with your choice if it's important to choose one thing else; and at last, you'll greater than possible return to what you appreciated the primary time. Reviewing the next most used stone varieties will assist if you find yourself able to make your selection.
- GRANITES - Granites often have a "spattered" or "swirled" grain and might comprise many colours (minerals). Usually, granites have a cultured completed and have a "busy" look, however to maintain up with present tendencies, extra producers are producing honed (clean & unpolished) and flamed (tough textured) surfaces. Granites could also be bought in slab and dimensional tile kind and can be utilized in nearly any software. It has turn into ever well-liked as it's getting used continuously in newly constructed tract housing, condominium / condominium complexes and business buildings. Granites are imported from many international locations and have simply as many colours and sizes to select from. A be aware in utilizing polished granite is to know that it may be slippery to stroll on till a patina builds on it. As with every different commodity, stone can also be graded for high quality requirements. Be cautious if this can be very cheap ... (lower than $ 7.00 per sq. foot until you might be shopping for a big amount.) The value ranges in granites will be anyplace in between $ eight.00 to $ 90.00 per sq. foot, relying on the colour, rarity and the place the stone comes from. The "blue" stones, containing minerals / gems similar to sodalite are often within the increased priced ranges.
- LIMESTONES - There are a lot of varieties of limestone obtainable and varies to many levels, relying upon the place it comes from. Unpopular to perception, limestone can also be a wonderfully succesful stone to make use of in all areas of your house. Most limestones have softer earth tone colours; could comprise a "swirl" veining motion by; can comprise fossils; or could have a light-weight speckled grain. Limestones, similar to granite or every other pure stone can stain, etch or get scratched, however once more, you shouldn't use pure stone if this can hassle you. Limestone is also broadly obtainable in dimensional tile and slab kind. This stone is used most continuously in higher-end houses, architectural designs and business purposes as it's simple to work with, the colours are muted in comparison with granites, it's obtainable in as many finishes and textures as granite and it's nonetheless comparatively new to the market. It's nonetheless thought-about to be a "customized" selection, because it has not reached the overuse stage of granite. Some limestones from international locations similar to France and Portugal will be considerably porous however are excellent for flooring, backsplashes, hearth environment and out of doors makes use of. Limestone from international locations such because the US and Israel (Jerusalem Stone) are typically heavier and often as skinny as granite, which makes it appropriate for nearly each software.
- SLATES - Slate was once used primarily for chalkboard, billiard tables, science lab areas and roof tiles. Nevertheless, lately it has turn into extra well-liked for residential use in most purposes, except fabricated counter tops. Slate tiles are typically tough in floor texture, except the tumbled model. Most slates can be found in all kinds of sizes in dimensional tiles; a number of in slab kind and most will be gotten in crates of random items like flagstone. It's a excellent stone for water areas similar to showers & spas, patio / driveway areas, pool environment and roofing purposes. Most slates comprise an enormous variation of colour, even inside the identical lot and a few will even look to have been stained from spills of crimson wine, which isn't the case. That is brought about from earth minerals similar to iron and solely provides to the great thing about the stone. Slate holds onto warmth nicely, which is one more reason in addition to being hearth proof; It's broadly used as roofing materials. (Use gentle colours in out of doors areas the place it's possible you'll be strolling barefoot!) Since slates have a softer property, remember that it will probably shale off the floor extra simply. This is not going to hurt it per se, however could trigger you concern if you're not conscious that it occurs. One of many difficulties of slate is that it's assorted in thickness. Due to the shale properties, it is vitally troublesome to chop evenly. Usually, producers will reduce them with a "gauged" thickness or "sawn again" remedy, leaving one facet smoother. Due to the numerous thickness between each bit of tile, particular sized installations could also be extra of a problem, so count on your installer prices to be a bit increased. Slate itself is usually a much less costlier stone. Count on anyplace from $ four.00 - $ eight.00 per sq. foot, dependent upon the grade and nation of origin. Once more, watch out for any extraordinarily cheap costs and be sure you verify the standard of the slate to make certain that it has not been full of dyes. Check by holding a bit below working water for a couple of minutes and in addition by placing a number of tablespoons of vinegar or lemon juice on it and wiping off. If any colour comes off, return it instantly! Only a be aware: I solely suggest utilizing any acidic answer on stone on this occasion for testing functions solely.
- MARBLE - Most individuals are accustomed to marble in lots of makes use of. From Greek statues to Roman baths, marble has been used for hundreds of years in nearly each doable software, each inside and exterior. Marble has the identical basic properties of limestone and might stain, etch or scratch, however it solely turns into extra lovely over time and use. It's available in nearly each colour, measurement, end and texture recognized to man. Most marbles have a veining of a mineral all through them and are typically considered from Italy, however it if truth be told it's quoted from all around the world. Tumbled marble has turn into extraordinarily well-liked in the USA in the previous few years for backsplash, flooring and shower areas. Costs vary from $ 6.00 - $ 30.00 per sq. foot, once more dependent upon the rarity, colour and nation of origin. A few drawbacks to marble to pay attention to is: 1. Inexperienced marbles containing serpentine Must be put in in water areas with particular setting pointers that your installer ought to know of as water can warp and break aside inexperienced marbles; 2. Polished marble will be slippery to stroll upon till a patina has constructed up on the floor.
- TRAVERTINE - Travertine is marble, besides it's full of "holes." To know what causes the holes, consider it this fashion ... the place a river or stream was previous to the marble being quoted is the place you can find travertine. Due to the holes, individuals will be scared off as a result of travertine is usually considered extra porous and never appropriate for residential use. This isn't the case, as all of these holes grew to become stuffed in with grout throughout set up, giving it a really distinctive look. The identical travertine can be utilized in two separate areas however seem one other approach simply through the use of two totally different grout colours! Travertine will be bought with the holes pre-filled, however in my expertise with it, I don't suggest it. Basically, the epoxy fill that's used has a colour to it that doesn't look pure to the stone and it tends to return out after a brief period of time in excessive visitors areas. Count on to pay anyplace from $ 5.00 - $ 15.00 per sq. foot.
5. Q. IS STONE MORE DIFFICULT OR COSTLY TO INSTALL THAN CERAMIC TILE?
A. On the entire, it's not harder to put in. There are exceptions after all such because the difficulties with thickness gauges, which takes extra time in planning the structure and if a posh sample is getting used. As for price it's typically no more costly aside from time spent on lining out patterns and the thickness gauging once more, at the least for the tile contractors I've labored on tasks with. The setting provides and procedures are the identical, however stone is heavier to work with. I counsel speaking it over along with your installer and in addition taking the time to take a look at previous jobs she or he has put in if doable. I will probably be giving recommendations on deciding on a tile contractor / installer in my subsequent article.
6. Q. CAN A STONE DESIGN BE USED OR MIXED WITH OTHER KINDS OF MATERIALS?
A. Completely! The probabilities are infinite. You may incorporate stone with ceramic, porcelain, glass, and terracotta ... something you possibly can consider, even mixing several types of stones collectively.
7. Q. HOW DO I FIGURE THE QUANTITY THAT I WILL NEED?
A. Usually, tile and stone for a "area" space (area the place plain tile will probably be) is illustrated by the sq. foot. To determine sq. footage, measure the realm that you'll be placing the tile with a tape measure. Examples:
1. You measure your room and it comes out to be 10-1 / 2 toes large by 15-Three / four toes lengthy ... you'd calculate it by multiplying 10.5x15.75 = 165.38. Spherical this quantity off to the closest complete quantity (165). I counsel including on a 10-15% overage to plan for cuts, breakage and somewhat further to retailer in case a bit must be changed later in time.
2. You measure your wall space to be coated and also you get 18 "tall and 33" lengthy. Multiply 18x33 = 594 "Now divide that quantity by 144, leading to four.13sf. (There are 144 sq. Inches per sq. foot.) Once more, spherical it off and add on for overage.
When figuring for ornamental tile or trim, it's often by the piece and calculated by the lineal foot.
For slabs, it's best to let your fabricator determine the amount for you.
eight. Q. WHAT SIZE GROUT JOINTS SHOULD I USE?
A. Once more, it is a matter of selection and the look you favor. Honed stone can often be butt-jointed (tight to one another) with little or no grout displaying if you wish to see a lot grout or grid sample; tumbled stone often has a 1/eight "to 1/four" grout joint which can exhibit the sides extra.
9. Q. WHAT SIZE OF STONE TILE SHOULD I USE FOR MY PROJECT?
A. It relies upon upon the mission itself and the realm measurement. One thing to bear in mind is that if the realm to be tiled is small, it's higher to make use of a bigger measurement tile, if you need the realm to look bigger. It's not unusual to imagine that in case you have a small perimeter of ground that it is best to use a four ", 6" or 12 "tile, which isn't obligatory. have extra grout joints.
10. Q. I DO NOT LIKE THE GRID PATTERN I SEE FREQUENTLY. WHAT CAN YOU SUGGEST FOR AN ALTERNATIVE?
A. There are a lot of pre-set repeating stone patterns obtainable, or you may make your individual "random" sample from totally different measurement items of stone. A pre-set sample is simpler to make use of and the quantity of stone that will probably be wanted for the mission will probably be simpler to determine. To additionally assist from holding a grid sample from being so apparent is to make use of a grout colour that's as shut as doable to the colour of the stone. Utilizing darkish grout with gentle tile, or gentle grout with darkish tile was a preferred look within the 80's. Nevertheless, I feel it's higher to see as little grout as doable. Your stone is the costly a part of your mission so it is best to wish to present it off, not your grout!
11. Q. CAN YOU HELP ME WITH DESIGNING MY STONE LAYOUT?
A. Sure, I can. I cost an hourly price of $ 75 and I'll want some issues from you:
1. A duplicate of your blueprints, together with the elevations in case you have them and the realm to be tiled clearly marked; or a drawing of the realm, together with the scale and the realm to be tiled proven. Ensure that to specify what room / location it's, if it's not marked on the blueprint.
2. The type of house you will have; or the look you favor, ie ... rustic, modern, elegant, conventional ...
Three. Whether or not or not you will have already chosen your stone. If that's the case, what did you choose and what measurement? If not, would you like me to make recommendations for you? If sure, do you will have a set finances?
four. Will you wish to use ornamental trim items? If that's the case, did you select one but? What are the scale of a bit (s)?
Look ahead to my subsequent article: FAQ's On Selecting A Tile Contractor / Installer