An age-in-place home plan (a house through which you reside independently for the remainder of your life), in an effort to achieve success, requires a design that accommodates the inevitable bodily adjustments which happen when the human physique ages. Many residential dwellings can current challenges for customers as they grow old. Minor obstacles for the youthful particular person, similar to quite a few stairs, slim hallways, tight areas or poor lighting, can change into main issues for getting older adults.
Our properties want to supply higher assist for these bodily and sensory adjustments that older adults encounter as they age, they must be extra barrier free. Fortuitously, the development at the moment is towards a extra common design, that includes standardized environments and merchandise which might be simply and safely accessible by all, no matter potential, bodily circumstances or age.
Whether or not you might be planning a house for an getting older father or mother or you're a member of the child boomer era wanting forward, begin by contemplating numerous design options on your aging-in-place home plan. Earlier than coping with the particular particulars similar to home equipment and cabinetry you'll first want to handle the structural design of the home plan itself.
Structural Home Plan Options
- All on one degree or, at the very least, the principle dwelling areas similar to front room, kitchen, bed room, bath, laundry and storage. For one in every of our shoppers constructing an aging-in-place 2-story house on a sloped property with further decrease degree visitor bedrooms and a media room, we specified structural provisions within the plan for a future elevator to be situated in a closet. This might at all times enable them to take pleasure in the usage of these decrease degree rooms with their household and pals with out worrying about climbing stairs.
- Open ground plan format for simple maneuverability. Additionally, a lot of pure gentle.
- Accessible decks or porches with a ground degree distinction of not more than ½".
- Low upkeep exterior siding similar to brick, stone, stucco or vinyl. Even in case you usually pay another person to deal with these issues, why not save the cash for different requirements.
- No less than one effectively lit, no step-entry with 36" large door, ideally coated for cover, lever handles and flush or beveled threshold (max.) ½" excessive.
- Minimal 36" entry walkway, degree or low sloped.
Storage or Carport:
- Wider than common and 5' minimal area between van and automobile to permit for lifts.
- 9' excessive overhead storage door with opener for raised roof vans.
- Sloped concrete slab for ramp with a 5' touchdown space.
Inside Doorways, Hallways, Home windows:
- three' Doorways (yielding 32" clear passage) operable with lever handles.
- Minimal 36" large effectively lit hallways. We usually wish to design our properties with wider and shorter hallways typically set at 45 diploma angles to adjoining areas. This not solely facilitates accessibility however can also be aesthetically pleasing. As well as, hallways are a fantastic place to put in photo voltaic gentle tubes for the comfort of not at all times having to activate a lightweight.
- A lot of home windows for pure gentle, ideally tall with lowered sills and simple working . Casement home windows are a superior selection over double hung since they're simpler to function and supply higher air flow.
Kitchen and Bath:
- Accessible, open kitchen format with counter heights and work stations that accommodate wheelchair use and maneuverability with ease.
- No less than one wheelchair maneuverable bath on the principle degree offering 60" turning radius or ample T-turn area of 36"x36" or 30"x48" clear area.
- Wall mounted (or open beneath) bath sinks for knee room.
- Minimal 36" no threshold showers with fold down seats, tubs with doorways or adjoining area for seat switch.
- Wall bracing for seize bars to assist minimal of 250 kilos at bathroom, tub and shower areas.
Pre-planning and correct structural design of the home plan are vital first steps in constructing your future barrier-free retirement house for getting older in place. Following these pointers will assist to make sure a secure and comfy house to take pleasure in for the remainder of your life.